family pic

family pic

Thursday, July 19, 2012

3 year appointment

Isn't he just to die for :)


Before you get to see the rest of the pics I will fill you in on our appointment. Hold on to your hats because its a doozy. We talked about LOTS and I walked out reeling and trying to not cry.

First things first - his percentiles

HEAD: 92% (no surprise there)
WEIGHT: 93%
HEIGHT: 64%
BMI (this is a first - our doctor starts this at 3) 96%

Basically he's a big kid :) I would say but healthy except...

Last night Jaren got a fever and I just thought oh great a summer cold, but didn't worry at all as we already had our well baby appointment today. The doctor barely touched Jarens stomach and asked if we had been around any older kids with sore throats lately and I said not that I know of. He then explained that Jarens spleen is descended and that is a BIG sign of Mono. He said that three year olds really only get mono if they get it from someone else. Jaren also has, as the doctor put it "Wow - he has REALLY swollen lymph nodes" Turns out the quick test for mono is extremely unreliable on 3 year olds and he didn't want to put him through the big test if unnecessary so - since mono is viral there wouldn't be a medicine anyway - we are to wait and if he still has a fever, swollen lymph nodes, a sore throat, or complains of being tired by next wed we have to go in for the big test. AHHHHHHHHHHH

Then...

As Doc was looking at Jaren tummy because whatever is actually making him sick has given him a rash on his tummy I asked him to check out his abs. When Jaren was very young and not crawling on time or walking I had a friend who is a PT check him out for me to find out he has split abs. She told me he would probably lean toward the arts as sports would be hard for him because he abs. To this day Jaren can not do a sit up he will roll to the side EVERY time - Doc showed me how his tummy right along the line in the middle protrudes up when he tries to do a sit up and said it will always be there and probably get worse. He said that jaren abs were VERY separated and that they should be closer by now. There is nothing we can do - exercises or stretches that will help this - we are to just watch them and see if they get closer together and if not by age 5 we may have to look into surgery.

Then...

I asked the Doctor to look at Jarens scar just to check it and he said that it was still a bit hard (not the term he used, but didn't retain his terminology with everything else we discussed) He thought it should be down by now so wants to keep an eye on that as well...

So are you following me still.... Keeping an eye on the fever, lymph nodes, fatigue, sore throat, ab muscles, and scar.

THEN....

I wanted to visit with the doc about some of Jarens behavior outbursts and OCD like behaviors. After sharing a few scenarios with him about Jarens reactive behaviors and repetitive behaviors he has referred us to a psychiatrist - as he said that these behaviors would probably just multiply and intensify as he gets older if we don't look further into them now. You may be saying, what Jaren is such a good kid. And you are right HE IS AMAZING - until he's not. He saves most of his outbursts for at home special for mommy and daddy, which we are thankful for, but he has had them other places as well.

So that was the tip of the iceberg for me for this appointment and my brain shut off. Not one thing we talked about was no big deal or doing great and that is what I'm used to so I was ready to get out of there and ruin my diet with some nuggets and fries with Jaren from the Wendy's drive through.

To top it all of this was going to be a mommy son day - we were going to have a picnic at the zoo after the appointment and I was going to spoil him with ice cream after and a trip to the park. That would have been much better

So sorry this got long, but wanted to let you all know how the appointment went - now you can look at our beautiful, handsome, silly boy in more of his 3 year photos.





1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! I LOVE the wheat picture! What an awesome idea (we seriously have (well had) wheat in our backyard and I didn't consider it). He is adorable and what a great picture taker!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive