family pic

family pic

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Our infirtility journey continued...

It has been a while since I started this story so I will refresh.

Basically we tried for a year on our own with no success. Then we both got tested and nothing was found so we went to a fertility clinic and was put on Clomid (aka - the devil drug) for 6 months with no positive results. Throughout these 6 months I was only having to go to the doctor every other month, which was a blessing, because insurance did not cover any of the appointments. Ironically our prescriptions were covered, but not any of the appointments.

FYI - Clomid is a drug that basically makes the body produce eggs. It tends to make you produce a fewer amount of eggs, but larger ones.

So after the Clomid didn't work our doctor thought maybe it wasn't the size of my eggs,but the amount so he put me on another drug that helped my body produce eggs, just smaller ones, but more. It was called Follistem. It did it's job, we know this because I had to go in for sonograms each month for them to check and make sure. We tried this drug on its own for just two months. Then we decided to try this drug with an IUI. Also know as Intra uterine insemination - or artificial insemination. And yes, ladies it is as fun as it sounds.

To accompany our new method I was put on another drug called Ovidrel. This drug induces ovulation. Here is the best Part. It was in the form of a shot. There is no way I could do this to myself so Mark got to give me these shots. And this is where it really got fun. We had to schedule these appointments very carefully because if the doctor was available at 3:00 in the afternoon - I had to get the shot 36 hours before the appointment so yes that meant I had to have the shot at 3:00 in the morning. Mark and I would set an alarm at 2:00 to get he meds out of the fridge and then reset our alarm for 3:00 to take the shot. (These moments will not go down as any of the best times of our marriage) We went through this regiment for 4 months.

I know we sound crazy, but the first month of doing all of this was when we got pregnant. I took a home test on the 3rd of July and man oh man were we excited. The line was oh so very faint, but it was there. To make sure I wasn't crazy I took another test on the 4th and again there was a line. A very faint line, but a line none the less - and of course being a holiday we couldn't go to the doctor. On the fifth I of course went to the doctor for a blood test and just couldn't wait. I had to call a computerized system to get the results and they were supposed to be there in 2 hours. I called I think 50 times that afternoon and was getting really pissed (sorry mom and grandma if you are reading this, but I was) Then finally they called me and when I saw their number on caller ID I thought this is weird they are not supposed to call. That is when she told me that my HCG levels were way to low for this pregnancy to stick and that she was really sorry, but I would just need to wait to pass this baby and then when I did come in to see when we could start again. I know I'm making her sound heartless, but she wasn't she was very nice, it was just that I was literally heartbroken.

As you all know - that baby did not make it to met us, but that is why we were so motivated to keep trying.

I was getting good follicles (eggs) each month. two at the most. When I say good I mean the measurement. They had to measure each follicle to see if they were of good enough size to be vital targets. I had approx 8 eggs each month, but only one or two that would have been good to go.

After 4 months of doing this we were, physically, emotionally, and financially in need of a break so that is what we did. Well kinda...

We took a break from the center for reproductive medicine and I began to have appointments with Dr. Ron Ferris (a family practice doctor who specializes, personally, in infertility)

That is where I will stop for now, but don't worry there is plenty more where this came from. We are currently at Mark and I's 35th month of trying to start a family and as of today we have been trying for 54 months) There are many more pills and shot to discuss, but thank goodness, no more miscarriages.

4 comments:

  1. Even though I know this stuff, it just makes me relize more and more how much you two deserve to have a baby soon! You've been through a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing all the private and personal details; you have been through so much! Hang in there! We love you, Sarah and all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting us know you better,...and the journey you both have been on.
    love you guys,
    brandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there. We pray for you often.
    The Millers

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive