family pic

family pic

Friday, February 27, 2009

STEP 1) meeting with the lawyer

Well, we met with Doug Keeling today - he is the adoption lawyer that our aunts and uncles recommended to us. We had a nice meeting and were very glad he agreed to sit and visit with us.

I wish I had more to share, but it was all basic questions that have no direct answers. How long do we have to wait? Um well is all depends on X, Y, & Z. How much will this all cost? Um, well that all depends on X, Y, & Z. blah blah. He did a nice job of giving us general ideas and we appreciated that greatly.

He is going to be sending us the 'paper work' soon (which, by the sounds of it, if you thought buying a house had a lot of paper work you were wrong) We will also need to get going on our home study and he gave us a recommendation as to who we should call for that.

AND ....... We need to get working on our portfolio - I am NOT excited about this part. I just can't imagine trying to put a portfolio together to make someone think we are good enough to raise their child for them. If you have any good suggestions, please let me know when you leave a comment.

That is it for now. We will let you know when we get our home study scheduled. That way you can help pray for that too.

THANKS - (oh and I will be posting soon about a suggestion the lawyer gave us - to put it shortly please feel free to share our website and or just let everyone you know, know that we are looking to adopt, you just never know who is going to know someone) More later...

4 comments:

  1. I am more than happy to help you with your portfolio or anything you need help with. If you just need stuff, or support. I am glad at least it wasn't a discouraging meeting and you are getting going with the process. Can't wait to hear more, and I'll pass on to all my other friends.

    Butterfields

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark and Jenny, step one kinda sounds like the first day of class and you get the syllabus and are overwhelmed- except you don't seem overwhelmed . . . :)

    As for the portfolio- I don't think you need to worry about that. You are creative and organized and you do wonderful stuff like that all the time for your school kids and college classes. And besides that, you and Mark are perfect! All you have to do is be yourself and it'll shine!

    I have one question, if you don't mind, what is a home study?

    our love and prayers, the Trujillos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ~ I bet that sounds a little overwhelming. Take a deep breath and just take one day at a time. You guys should pass all their tests with flying colors. I'll ask a lady I work with who does foster care about the home study ~ I guess they take the home studies just as seriously for foster care as they do for adoption! I'll pass along her info. Also ~ I have a couple of people I could ask about what makes a "winning" portfolio. ~ love and prayers Beth & Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got around to catching up on the email and glad the ball is rolling. You two will do an outstanding job - you do on everything you do. But I'm not understanding what is in a portfolio - maybe I could help if I knew what you need. I would just put in there you would make bang-up mom and dad - the end! Kidding aside I'm sure those asking are very serious, so let's just let them know what we all already know. Mom and Dad Mac

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive